I am not the most frugal person in the world. Mrs Credit Card is more frugal than I am. But recently during our vacation in Orlando, I realized that we are sometimes frugal on certain things but not on others. Which leads me to wonder if our frugal habits are worth keeping and whether or not they come to anything with regards to saving money for ourselves.
Here was how we saved money on our trip.
1. We used some frequent flier miles. We transferred our Membership Reward Points to Southwest airlines and got a couple of tickets free.
2. Mrs Credit Card did extensive research on the web before getting our hotel (Holiday Inn Sunspring). It probably wasn’t the cheapest but we felt it suited our needs.
3. She spent countless hours researching our going about DisneyWorld before she bought our passes.
4. We made sure we had a few bottled water and snacks in our backpacks when we were in Disney everyday so we did not have to pay ridiculous prices for food.
5. We educated our kids not to spend on frivolous spur of the moment “stuff” from the gift shops after every ride.
Despite all that, we did spend on a “couple of items” that you may not consider frugal.
Firstly, we had breakfast at the cafe in Magic Kingdom where the characters of Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, came walking around and took pictures with our kids. Our little daughter (shall I call her Miss Credit Card) was probably the happiest person that day. Well, the cost of breakfast for five was a whopping $90! (which is a lot considering we get free buffet breakfast in our hotel!)
Next, we also went to lunch at a restaurant at Epcot where the princess characters (Cinderella etc) of Disney came out and took photos with each table. This time though, our little daughter was not too keen! Another expensive lunch, but certainly a change from the usual burgers and coke!
Then, during one of our free times, Mrs Credit Card went to the factory outlets and got herself two handbags (total cost hmmm..let’s just say high three figures!). According to her, it was a bargain.
So we were careful to save and made sure we got good bargains. But we also splurged on some little luxuries. Fortunately, we are not in a situation where we have to really watch every penny. But I bet many of us have this same issue. We spend a lot of time trying to get the best deal for certain things, but we also indulge ourselves in certain things. Maybe we cannot be always frugal in everything, but I guess it is much better to be frugal in some things than not at all.